The bill amends the statutes relating to the early childhood leadership commission (commission) in the department of human services (department) as follows:
- Makes changes to the legislative declaration, mission, and duties of the commission to include consideration of families of pregnant women and children;
- Repeals the early childhood leadership commission fund.
- Changes the title of the person appointed to assist the department in fulfilling the duties of the commission from 'executive director' to 'director';
- Removes the requirement that the director be compensated from money credited to the early childhood leadership commission fund, and instead requires that the director be compensated with federal funds or gift, grants, or donations, and not with money from the general fund;
- Permits the commission to seek, accept, and expend gifts, grants, and donations for the expenses of the commission; and
- Extends the repeal date and sunset review of the commission prior to its repeal from 2018 to 2023.
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)