Under current law, courts collect a $5 surcharge on certain court fees, and the surcharge is credited to the court security cash fund. The surcharge is imposed on:
- Docket fees and jury fees for specified civil actions;
- Docket fees for criminal convictions;
- Filing fees for specified probate filings;
- Docket fees for specified special proceeding filings;
- Fees for specified filings in water matters; and
- Docket fees for specified traffic infraction penalties.
The bill increases the surcharge to $10, thereby increasing each of these fees by $5. On and after the effective date of the bill, for each $10 surcharge credited to the fund, the state court administrator shall award $5 to the court that collected the fee upon which the surcharge was assessed.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)