The bill makes several changes to the child support sections of the Uniform Dissolution of Marriage Act, including:
- Revises the schedule of basic child support obligations, including the application of a minimum order formula for income below $1,100 per month rather than the existing level of $850 per month;
- Revises the minimum child support amount in circumstances in which the parents' combined monthly adjusted gross income is less than $1,100 per month to $50 per month for one child; $70 per month for 2 children; $90 per month for 3 children; $110 per month for 4 children; $130 per month for 5 children; and $150 per month for 6 or more children;
- Revises the formula for calculating the low-income adjustment by removing the 40% multiplier factor;
- Makes amendments to the definition of "gross income", including clarification of when earnings or gains on retirement accounts may be included in gross income;
- Adds language concerning the handling and application of lump sum social security disability benefits or retirement benefits;
- Provides language concerning the retroactive establishment of child support in situations where there has been a post-order change of physical care agreed on by the parents; and
- Revises the duties, make-up, and terms of the child support commission.